Saturday, November 09, 2013

A Conversation About Melba Toast

Saw Lyn at Off Square Books, where she was running an event last night. Somehow we got to talking about melba toast. And I said, "I think I saw something about how melba toast was invented. I'll send you the link." And then we both burst into laughter, because I had just said, with grave sincerity and no intention, the most boring thing that had ever been said. And I was wrong, anyway. I was thinking of this recipe for melba toast I once featured on the "blog" - if anything, MORE boring than the story of how melba toast first came to be. Ace and Angela were there. Ace said anxiously, "Did you get the picture I sent you of my cat sitting in a box?" I confirmed as much. Ace had watched the episode of ADVENTURE TIME which features lots of cats walking around with turned-over cardboard boxes on them. By coincidence, Ace's cat had been sitting around all day - that very day! - in a cardboard box! That's her above. She is a descendant of Hemingway's famous six-toed cats. "Click" here to read about the time I found out what a hennin is while working on the cat episode of ADVENTURE TIME. "Click" here to read about Hemingway's six-toed cats. "Click" here to read about the time I dropped a French fry on the floor in 2008.