Wednesday, November 12, 2014

McNeil's Movie Korner

Welcome once more to the welcoming arms of "McNeil's Movie Korner." Forgot to tell you that McNeil discovered the Jerry Lewis version of THE JAZZ SINGER. He kept pausing it to send me emails: "I watched the first minute (!) and had to pause it my heart was so overflowing with joy. ....Oh, *****, I just watched another minute - Jerry just finished the opening song. I feel like I want to rewind it and watch it over already." And: "I watched another 30 seconds...Jerry comes off stage and licks the manager's cheek!!! This is so perfect." And: "I've watched through the end of Act 2 of THE JAZZ SINGER, but I had to stop at that point. I became physically ill when Jerry's father threw him out of the house - AFTER the cantor b**** slap took my breath away. I'm upstairs talking it out with Bonnie." BONUS! Bill Boyle sent me an article yesterday about when Bob Dylan got "deeply into" Jerry Lewis. The article also mentioned in passing that Bob Dylan owns a boxing gym with a coffee shop attached. MORE EXTRA BONUS EXTRA! I watched WHICH WAY TO THE FRONT? and it anticipates the controversial ending of Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS by 40 years. By which, not to be coy, I mean to say that Jerry personally kills Hitler at the end of the movie.