Sunday, November 01, 2015

Probably Good to Know

I guess you are wondering how our annual Halloween film festival ended up this year! Too many devil movies, if you ask me. Let me do the math. Looks like we held steady at 20% devil movies. Doesn't sound like a lot but it feels like a lot for somebody who's scared of the devil. THE DEVIL'S BRIDE was more atmospheric than TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER, which isn't saying much. The devil appeared in THE DEVIL'S BRIDE and he got spooked by some car headlights! So that's good to know. He looked like, "WHOA!" I'd show you a frame of the devil seeming to think "HUH! WHAT!" when he sees the car headlights, but even though it was silly it's still too scary to "post" on the "blog." He had a scary goat head! I don't want to talk about it. Our final Halloween movie this year was Disney's THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD. The last half is a retelling of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," so that's some good Halloween material. The first half is about Mr. Toad's legal problems: not so scary. Unless you consider a bunch of drunk weasels (literal weasels) taking over your ancestral manse scary. But that reminds me! When I went to Disney World as a little kid, there was a ride called "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride." You get in a car and then a train hits you! That's the ride. And you end up in hell. That's how they did it at Disney back then. This, let me stress, was not part of the movie. I looked on the "internet" and found this photo (above) of some of the leering devils that used to mock you at the end of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, after you, the unsuspecting child taking the ride, had apparently been killed by an oncoming train and sent to hell. So there's a vague connection between THE DEVIL'S BRIDE and Mr. Toad after all.